Wednesday, March 4, 2009

143 million orphans

When I read these numbers this morning in an article Joshua forwarded to me (CLick here to read article) I was first overcome with sadness, then with conviction, and finally with hope. What have I done to serve and bring the news of Christ to "the least of these?"
Matthew 25:34: Then the King will say...'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundations of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you? And the King will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these, my brother, you did it to me."

Another passage that came to mind after reading the article was Matthew 20:28: "Even theSon of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life up as a ransom for many."

I've found it so absolutely easy to continue through life taking care of myself, and neglecting the reality of the world around me. Business seems to be an epidemic in our culture that sends us spiraling into "me focused" activities, leaving little regard for others outside our boxes. I hope you also find the article hopeful as we can dream of how God will continue to use the church to reach out to orphans in the years to come.

In this article Tim Nelson of World Orphans lists five reasons the world can't ignore the plight of the orphan any longer. It's short and I encourage you to read it.

Thanks for listening to some of my thoughts. ~Rose


No comments: